Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day Buns

My Great Grandmother taught my mom how to make "Grandma buns". These were dinner rolls and cinnamon buns. So I though that in preparation for Mother's Day I would try the Caramel Sticky Rolls (p. 120-121). I had my very good friend SugarQueen, over to my house to tackle the recipe together. 
The dough. My Great Grandma did not have a Kitchen Aid.
She taught my mom how to make bread with her hands.
Kneading the dough was fun. We used our hands for this
Interview with SugarQueen:

Q: SugarQueen, how did you get your name?

A: I am the queen of all things sweet. I love sugar :)

Q: You have the same Betty Crocker Cookbook as me. What recipes have you tried so far?

A: I've tried the Peppermint Marshmallows (p.208) and the Cheese and Bacon-Stuffed Mushroom Caps (p. 61). They were really good. Zobo, you are missing out because you don't like mushrooms.

Q: It's a texture thing. I tried your Marshmallows though. Those were really minty. They would be good with hot chocolate. Making the Cinnamon Rolls with you was fun. Harder than it looks actually. Have you made yeast bread before?

A: No, but it's fun to try new things, especially when I bake.

Q: Do you have a recipe that you would like to try next?

A: I would really enjoy making the Vegetable Summer Rolls (p. 261) because they look easy and delicious.

Q: What do you think of the Betty Crocker Cookbook?

A: It shows you how to do stuff. It has great tips. My mom bought it for me so I could learn more complicated things in cooking.

Q: That was a very nice gift your mom gave you. What are you planning on doing for Mother's Day?

A: We don't have much planned because I think my mom would like to relax all day.

Q: Ya, mine too. Maybe we should serve our moms the cinnamon rolls for breakfast. What's your overall impression of the recipe we did together?

A: It was really fun although at some parts it was difficult, like rolling out the dough was hard and cutting the rolls with dental floss (because our hands were so greasy with butter).

Let it rise. We went for a walk to the beach.
The finished product. 
Happy Mother's Day Mom. 
Do you have a favourite recipe that has been shared with you by your mom or grandmother? Thank you SugarQueen, for baking with me. And thanks to our moms for encouraging us to learn new things. Happy Mother's Day.

4 comments:

  1. Best blog yet Zobo! My favourite recipe shared by my mom and grandmother is Puffed Wheat Squares. They're delicious! And I was overjoyed to bake with you! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candy Queen, Puffed Wheat Squares sound very interesting. I think this calls for another baking date so I can taste-test. I think you share your mother's talents in the kitchen. You are a natural.

      Delete
  2. Hey Zobo -- the cinnamon buns were great. I love'd the brown sugar coated pecans. Thanks for sharing
    Yogi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zobo, thank you for the delicious cinnamon buns and Mother's Day wishes. The buns were sweet, rich and paired perfectly with my morning coffee. it was also a gift to be able to watch you share your hard work with your grandparents. That was sweet. I'm proud of you and Candy Queen for taking on the challenge of yeast bread. The best part was listening to the two of you sing while you were baking. I'm looking forward to what you will produce next. xo

    ReplyDelete